Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal--5/15/11

The Homeschool Mother's Journal




 
In my life this week...

    I must admit that my Mother's Day wasn't much of a treat this year.  One of my teenage boys did make me some eggs, but my 3 oldest boys (ages 14, 13, 13) had to be at church early.  With gas prices what they are there is no good reason to drive separate, which means getting everyone ready a little early.  So, my son Max brought the eggs down while I was putting on my make-up and even though there were a bit runny (did I mention we were in a hurry?) I was eating them...until the dog chased the cat who jumped up on the dresser and stepped in my plate of eggs.  So, I fed the rest to the dog (which may have been his plan all along).   Our Sunday school class had some nice snacks set out though.   Normally I plant flowers on Mother's Day, but since my husband (who is self-employed) is not working much I didn't do that this week.  That was a bit discouraging for me, but I am trying to enjoy the flowers that I already have and there are some of those.


In our homeschool this week...

     The National Piano Teachers Guild Competition, which my oldest participated in.  He memorized and played 8 pieces for a judge.  My other 6 kids are involved in a variety of activities, but at this point only my oldest son (14) plays piano.  Otherwise we are trying to wrap up school and figure out what we need to work on over the summer and what I think we have covered enough of.  Normally I stop art this time of year, but we are actually almost done with the book, so I have decided to go ahead and finish.



Places we're going and People we're seeing...

    Besides the piano competition the only people we saw this week was the dentist.  I only took in a couple who needed to get cavities fixed , so I got to sit and read while they were back in the dentist office...a rare treat for sure.  The only downside was that it had rained/snowed the night before.  I had checked before I went to bed and it looked as though all my windows were up, but the driver's side was open just a crack.  So, I had to drive to the dentist office on a wet seat (even with a towel over it) and sit in the dentist's office with a half-wet bottom.



My favorite thing this week...

     My lilac bush smells delicious, and I am trying to savor that since I know it will not last too much longer.  I actually have enough this year that I was able to bring a few sprigs in the house.  My other favorite thing was today....I am fighting a head cold (not my favorite part by the way).  Three of our older boys went home with a friend after a puppet ministry luncheon at church.  Our daughter brought a friend home.  My husband took the 4 kids at our house to the park for 2 hours so that I could nap. that sure makes up for a not so pampered Mother's Day.



What's not working for us....

    As mentioned in my post on Friday the math curriculum I am using for the older boys is working for 2 of them, but not the third.  So, I am starting to pray about what to do next year.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have....

      As I get ready to sort through my curriculum for the year I am trying to decide what to do with it.  I have several books I have been trying to sell the last couple months that are just not selling.  Today I found out about a place that donates books to homeschoolers who need, but can't afford curriculum.  They do this by having people send in books they are not using any longer.  I am thinking that even though I could use the money to put towards our curriculum, God is telling me to donate the things that are not selling.  I will include the link to the website in case any of you have items you would like to donate or if you are in need of curriculum for this year.
www.thebooksamaritan.com

A video to share....

    My three oldest boys participate in the puppet ministry at our church.  Today they had a recognition luncheon and the kids did a puppet show for us.  It was very encouraging to me as I realized today what a gift this ministry has been to my boys.  Besides learning to be a puppeteer they also must learn to write skits, choreograph skits, do voices for each character, and also tell Bible stories to the kids (without a puppet), among other things.   I am checking with the head of the puppet ministry to see if the skits they did today are copyrighted before I post the videos.  So, check back and hopefully I will have one posted in the next day or so.  If not then I'll just post a picture of my 3 oldest boys...the 3 puppeteers.




No comments:

Post a Comment