Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Homeschool Mother's Journal (1/20/11)

The Homeschool Mother's Journal  In my life this week:   Well, most of my plans this week got changed and up-ended (is that even a word?) somehow.  This is my week of flexibility.  A kid with stomach flu on Monday, and then I had planned a couple of coffee dates with friends this week, both of which fell through.  And those were some of the lighter things that didn't go right.  However, now at the end of the week I actually am not feeling too much regret over how I handled things.  A couple of things, yes, but overall fairly satisfied with my response and that is a nice surprise.
In our homeschool this week:   Well, having homeschooled now for more than 10 years I can honestly say that it's just hard to get your groove on in January, or in other words a good routine in January is hard to come by.  So, imagine my surprise that this week my kids have actually completed several of their assignments already and not left them until the end of the week.  This is a shock because it appears that they are actually following some of my advice, namely that leaving all their assignments until Friday makes for a really long day of trying to finish everything so that they can have their privileges for the weekend.  And I didn't even hear many complaints.  This does confuse me, does it mean they realize it's futile to resist, or have they actually learned that it's better not to procrastinate?  Time will only tell on that one. 
I am inspired by:  One of my teenage boys has a slight learning disorder and has for years struggled with being a little slow in some things and with his self-esteem over feeling stupid and therefore that no one would like him.  However, this week I have seen such improvement in his personality and confidence, and a sweet endearing moment where he tried to encourage one of his younger brothers that he would find something he was good at soon enough.  I also saw some major improvement in his playing of his favorite sport this week and it gave me hope.  One of those mom things where we have talked about these issues and worked on them and prayed about them, etc for years and I am finally seeing the fruit of his struggles.  And as it turns out God is always right.  Giving my son these things to struggle with hasn't turned out horrible, it is in fact making him into who God wants him to become.  I see him becoming a little more each day of the man he will be and I am impressed.
My favorite thing this week was:  My daughter's birthday was on Sunday and now I officially have 4 teenagers/young adults in the house.  (I say officially because 12 year old girls really act like teens, or maybe worse than teens).  Anyhow, whether you prefer the term teen or young adult there is a challenge with having them, but this time of life can be so exciting as you watch them becoming (as previously mentioned).  What's funny is when the kids were little I got tired of so much cake.  So, instead of having cake on their birthday (and then for birthday parties) we did birthday muffins for  breakfast.  I make muffins and then put a candle on one.  Simple....sooo very simple and yet my kids look forward to this more than the other things we do (although they do like to get presents).  
What's not working for us:  Well, I wish it was something easy like curriculum, but this week was one of those where my daughter and I hit some bumps and had a rough couple of days.  We are at peace now, but honestly, riding that hormonal tide sometimes I just can't find the ebb and flow.  And in terms of what I need to be working on I must confess that my attitude could also use some adjusting.  
Things I'm working on:  Well, I am trying to complete one unfinished project a month in 2012.  So far, I have made some headway, but I don't know if I will complete my project for this month or not.  I started with a simple one, and with a little more than a week to go it's hard to gauge.  I am also wanting to make my home a more inviting place this year, but I am not sure where to start.  I am not even sure if my home is uninviting, at least no one has ever said it isn't.  But I am trying to change a few things here and there (with very little cost) to make it a more enjoyable place.  I am starting with the laundry room because it is the smallest room in my house.  I haven't changed anything yet, I am just contemplating how to make this room work better and be a place that I love.  This room won't make my home more welcoming per se, but it is boring and I spend a lot of time in there.  I would like it to bring a smile to my face, and I would like to manage some of the clutter that is in there.  
 I'm reading:  One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer and they are inspiring.   

8 comments:

  1. I'm coming up on three teenagers in the next few years. I think we've been dealing with the hormone/upheaval with the girls since the beginning....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taunya...I'm with you, my girl has always been a bit emotional, but the last year has been harder for us. I think some of that is probably my attitude.

      Delete
  2. I'm actually glad to hear that other mothers find January a month of "transition" as well- hoping to be settled by the end of the month and more organized! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli---I am looking forward to February, it always runs smoother.

      Delete
  3. January does seem to drag on more than ANY other month of the year. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    As much as I miss my daughters, who are away at college, I don't miss the teen years. They were very trying emotionally. Good luck. You aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. I am looking forward to the day when my daughter and I will have a better relationship. And I have to say that my Januarys have been better since I decided to quit trying to make them run like August, or the beginning of a school year. Even though January is the first month of the "new" year in terms of school it is a continuation of something we have already started.

      Delete
  4. I heard Priscilla Shirer on Family Life Today & if she writes anything like she speaks, I know I would enjoy her book!

    I, too, struggle with making my home more inviting. Several people have said to me that it is the happiness of my kids and the fun we have as a family that make it a great house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, I have done one of Priscilla's Bible Studies and loved it.

      The neighbor kids seem to be over here a lot, so my home must be inviting enough. I just sometimes feel like my home is boring or that it lacks warmth.

      Delete